Comment at end
2nd March 2010
By David Bedein, Wed Mar 2 2010
- “Palestine”is an apartheid state in the making.
- “Israel Apartheid” Week is the time to publicize that fact.
- During Israel Apartheid Week, orchestrated on campuses around the globe, the time has come to put the shoe on the other foot.
In 1948, Apartheid laws institutionalized racial discrimination in South Africa & denied human rights to 25 million Black citizens of South Africa.
In 1948, the Arab League of Nations applied the Apartheid model to Palestine, and declared that Jews must be denied rights as citizens of Israel, while declaring a total state of war to eradicate the new Jewish entity, a war that continues today.
In 1948, at the directive of the Arab League of Nations, Jordan devastated the vestiges of Jewish life from Judea and Samaria, and burned all schules in the Jewish Quarter of Jerusalem.
In 1948, member states of the Arab League of Nations began to strip the human rights of Jews and to expel entire Jewish communities who had resided in their midst for centuries
In the mid 1960’s, The Arab League of Nations spawned the PLO to organize local residents to continue the war to deny Jewish rights the right to live as free citizens in the land of Israel – well before Israel took over Judea, Samaria, and the Old City of Jerusalem in the defensive war waged by Israel in 1967.
And since its inception in 1994, the newly constituted Palestinian Authority, created by the PLO, has prepared the rudiments of a Palestinian State, modeled on the rules of Apartheid and institutionalized discrimination:
1. The right of Palestinian Arab refugees and their descendents to return to Arab villages lost in 1948 will be protected by the new Palestinian state.
2. While 20% of Israel’s citizens are Arabs, not one Jew will be allowed to live in a Palestinian State
3. Anyone who sells land to a Jew will be liable to the death penalty in the Palestinian State
4. Those who murder Jews are honored on all official Palestinian media outlets.
5. Palestinian Authority maps prepared for the Palestinian State depict all of Palestine under Palestinian rule
6. PA maps of Jerusalem for the Palestinian State once again delete the Jewish Quarter of Jerusalem
7. Recent PA documents claim all of Jerusalem for the future Palestinian State.
8. The right of Jewish access to Jewish holy places is to be denied in the new Palestinian State.
9. The Draft Palestinian State Constitution denies juridical status to any religion except for Islam.
10. No system which protects human rights or civil liberties will exist in a Palestinian State
If that is not a formula for a totalitarian apartheid state of Palestine, then what is?
The Palestinians’ Unilateral “Kosovo Strategy”: Implications for the PA and Israel, by Dan Diker, Jerusalem Centre for Public Affairs. Excerpt:
“Mahmoud Abbas’ new precondition that the international community recognize the 167 lines in the West Bank as the new Palestinian border bolsters the assessment that the Palestinians have largely abandoned a negotiated settlement and instead are actively pursuing a unilateral approach to statehood.”
- Also see the Montreal Gazette which describes as the dark side this ‘thinking’ from the University of Alberta to name but one centre of ‘learning’.
- Ignatieff condemn Israel Apartheid Week. Condemning is a start. Explaining WHY it is wrong is clearly beyond the west’s leaders right now. If it wasn’t beyond, we’d still have Tony Blair the communicator extraordinaire (who understood the WHOLE of the big picture) in office. Let’s hope he still sees it ALL in his newly empowered post in the Middle East. And let’s hope few of today’s students become journalists or even politicians before they grow up, i.e. attain the age of 40 – if their ‘thinking’ is anything to judge by.
The League of Arab States (wikipedia)
22 members –
You might wonder where is the Islamic Republic of Iran, or why Afghanistan is not incuded while Iraq is.
Ah well, therein lies a tale … or two, my eager-to-learn students.
Today’s debate paper – work it out.
Tags: David Bedien, denies any religion but Islam, draft PA constitution, Israel Apartheid Week, League of Arab states, Montreal Gazette, The Arab League of Nations, The Palestinian Authority, the real apartheid state in the making, University of Alberta