21st August 2010
I have some bones to pick with my new online friend Peter Reynolds. He’s been drifting back into his liberal leftiness. Which is odd, since he’s a Conservative. But there we go. This is the era of the End of Politics, is it not? It is the Day of the Jackass, sorry, the Individual Decider-by-Conscience and thus Immaculate Conceptual Policy-Maker.
So Peter the self-confessed Tory had this at his blog – Israel and Palestine To Hold Direct Peace Talks
Unfortunately Peter had to let his bias shine through with these pre-conceptions and thus assumptions:
“This is the news the whole world has been waiting for. Israel has been driven to the negotiating table by the outcry against its brutal oppression of the Palestinian people. Perhaps those nine heroes who sacrificed their lives on the Gaza convoy can take much of the credit for this.”
There are at least THREE things wrong with this paragraph:
- Israel was not driven to negotiate. (Quite the opposite is the case as I pointed out to him. Israel has been pushing for at least 18 months to negotiate despite the Palestinians’ backstepping and laying down of pre-conditions.)
- Israel is not “oppressing” the Palestinian people. (Many of them live in the West Bank. Many too in Israel. They are not oppressed by Israel. In the case of those living in Gaza they are governed by Fatah. One Gazan, who works daily in Israel, even wrote to me here recently supporting Israel.) Not convinced? Watch the “oppression” here.)
- Those “nine heroes” were supposed charity (aka fundamentalists) from Turkey’s IHH. (This group set up the flotilla but were all on the Mavi Marmara. They attacked the soldiers as they landed from their helicopters. All available online to view, to those with eyes to see.)
As if that wasn’t bad enough Peter then goes and puts this up – “Republicans Reveal True Colours To Brits”
Excerpt: The story about the mosque being built at Ground Zero has been bubbling away for a few days. This evening, on BBC Radio 4′s “PM” programme an interview with Scott Wheeler of the National Republican Trust fired my interest. In fact, it made me explode with anger.
What he was annoyed about here was an American on Radio 4’s Thursday PM having the audacity to complain about the mosque/community centre being built very near Ground Zero.
(Listen here) If you just want to hear the relevant part scroll along to around 47 minutes.
Now, I wouldn’t say Mr Wheeler was the most elegant or eloquent speaker ever, but he is saying what many Americans think.
Peter should ask himself why those ‘liberals’ who keep saying politicians must listen suddenly close their ears, and hope politicians do likewise when people say things they don’t like? The worry is that even Peter probably doesn’t see that this issue defines the liberal intelligentsia. They are neither truly liberal, with a small “l” nor all that intel bright. I even mentioned some of them in the previous post here.
Kill the Ground Zero Mosque TV Ad
I can tell, even without asking P. Reynolds that he will also be greatly up in arms about Douglas Murray’s remarks on Radio 4’s Any Questions tonight. Mr Murray said that he would have hoped the Muslims behind the building of this mosque would have been more sensitive to the feelings of non-Muslims in New York.
INSULTED is not the word, Mr Reynolds.
I’M BLOODY FURIOUS. And I’m not even American.
- HOW THE WEST LOST ITS WAY – RELATIVELY SPEAKING
- Sharia Law Vs English Law: A Comparison. I haven’t read it yet. Just thought I’d add it in the interests of free speech and liberalism. Tell me what’s it like, please.
Sign the Ban Blair-Baiting petition here
A recent comment: “I think many of those who are critical of TB seem to forget about somebody called Saddam Hussein. He was someone who left to his own devices again, as was becoming increasingly likely, would undoubtedly resumed his efforts to obtain and use WMD. He definately would not have changed his spots.”