- Current Latest Page
- All Contents of Site – Index
- New blog – The Feral Press
- Sign the Ban Blair-Baiting petition here
Or – Tweet this post
4th May 2011
Tony Blair warns Osama bin Laden’s death will not abate terrorism
This was an ITN interview
Blair warns bin Laden death will not end terrorism
Former British prime minister Tony Blair has warned that the killing of al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden will not mark an end to the threat from fundamentalists. “I think it is important that we emphasise that this battle is not over – the narrative that bin Laden represented which is that Islam is in fundamental battle with the west, that it is at war with us, that narrative still exists I’m afraid,” he said.
He also expressed his deep gratitude to the US President: “We should send our deep thanks to President Obama, to the American people who carried out this operation and underlying our thanks to them to the servicemen and women that serve our countries everywhere.”
Militant Islamist forums vowed on Monday to avenge the killing of bin Laden. Bin Laden’s killing, in a compound outside the Pakistani city of Islamabad, dealt a symbolic blow to the global militant network, although Islamist forum posters said the strike wound not change their commitment to fighting Western powers.
The Twisting “Narrative” of Tweeters
I noticed some twit tweeting yesterday that Blair had said that “Islam is in fundamental battle with the west.” In fact he said the opposite:
“… the narrative that bin Laden represented which is that Islam is in fundamental battle with the west, that it is at war with us, that narrative still exists I’m afraid.”
EARLIER POSTS ON OSAMA BIN LADEN’S DEATH
- Osama Bin Laden. No body. No pictures. Shrine here …
- Poll: ‘Should we see photos/videos of Osama bin Laden’s body?’ Vote here.
- Geronimo/Bin Laden’s death. Lots of bloody pictures here…
- Picture of a dead Osama Bin Laden? I don’t think so. Proof.
- Tony Blair’s “heartfelt gratitude” to President Obama. But of course!
- Osama bin Laden: Hamas condemns “assassination of Arab Warrior”
- Osama Bin Laden killed? Buried at sea? Pictures? Evidence, please…
In case you haven’t seen it –
President Obama’s speech on bin Laden in full
With White House decisiveness President Obama and his administration can’t decide whether to release a picture of Osama bin Laden’s body.
- Telegraph: 7/7 bomber visited bin Laden city
- Telegraph: War on terror is not over, says Tony Blair
- ABC Net: European reactions to bin Laden ‘s death
- Play Political: Ed Miliband & Tony Blair on OBL death
- Michael Yon: Background Operations – OBL
- From White House – Pictures of operation, ref Osama bin Laden “not released yet”
- Euronews: Iran pours scorn on bin Laden death
- Birmingham, Britain – Reaction to Bin Laden’s death
Sign the Ban Blair-Baiting petition here
I am staggered by all the hate directed towards our former Prime Minister. I believe that Tony Blair made the Iraq decision in good faith and is most certainly NOT a war criminal. If anyone should be tried at the Hague it should be those in the media for totally misrepresenting the information and facts. The media are to blame for fuelling this hatred as it is purely driven by them. (UK)
Tags: Al Qaeda, Barack Obama, Blair wars, ITN, not over, Osama bin Laden, Osama bin laden dead, Pakistan, September 11 attacks, Tony Blair, tweeters, twits, twitter, United States, war on terror, White House